How Can You Help Someone With Depression?
Role of Family and Friends
Helping someone with depression can be a challenge; however, with the right approach, depression can be treated well and people can have a very productive and symptom free life. Here are some tips for family members and friends:
- Watch for signs and symptoms of depression.
- Talk to the person if you notice the signs of depression and suggest seeking medical help from a doctor or a mental health provider.
- If you notice that your loved one’s illness is severe or there is a danger of suicidal tendency, contact a doctor, hospital, or emergency medical services yourself.
- Offer support during treatment and reassure the person that treatment is effective. Accompany them to the doctor’s appointment, if it helps.
- Recovery process may be long so offer your support and encouragement.