Tools & Tips
Binge Eating Disorder –Questions to Ask Your Doctor?
Binge eating disorder (BED) is a treatable illness. Every person who suffers from BED has their own unique medical history. Therefore it is essential to have a detailed discussion with your doctor. You must try to ask questions and gain as much knowledge as possible. This way you can actively participate in your own care.
You may ask some of the following questions to your doctor
- How serious is my condition?
- Has my eating disorder caused any irreversible damage to my body?
- Have I developed any other co-morbid illnesses due to my eating habits?
- Do I need to undergo any tests to confirm a co-morbid illness?
- What are the diagnostic criteria for my condition?
- How fast will the drugs recommended by you start showing their action?
- What are the side effects of the medication you have prescribed?
- Which side effects should be considered serious?
- Do I need to see a counselor?
- Are there any non-conventional therapies available for management of my condition?
- Which of the non-conventional therapies are recommended for my condition?
- What shall I do to prevent relapse?
Remember, a patient who can communicate freely with the health care provider (HCP) can easily understand the treatment.